Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Pesach!

Being a predominantly Muslim town, I did not expect Sanski Most to offer much in the way of a Passover celebration. I should have known better. Funny things seem to happen here with a frequency that I can’t really attribute to chance. When Vahidin learned that I was Jewish, he got very excited. I got a “Happy Pesah” text from him on the first night of Passover, and he couldn’t wait to show me Sanski Most “matzo” when I arrived at the Center the next day. “From the Sephardic Jews who used to live here!” he said excitedly. While Bosnian matzo turned out to be a bit different than our American variety (think of a giant southern style biscuit minus the yeast…a deadly weapon if thrown accurately), it was hard to not get swept up in Vahidin’s enthusiasm. Who knew that I would spend Passover in BiH singing the Sh'ma with a Bosniak imam?

No comments:

Post a Comment